Current:Home > ContactSupreme Court blocks, for now, OxyContin maker bankruptcy deal that would shield Sacklers -Capitatum
Supreme Court blocks, for now, OxyContin maker bankruptcy deal that would shield Sacklers
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 15:50:04
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Thursday temporarily blocked a nationwide settlement with OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma that would shield members of the Sackler family who own the company from civil lawsuits over the toll of opioids.
The justices agreed to a request from the Biden administration to put the brakes on an agreement reached last year with state and local governments. In addition, the high court will hear arguments before the end of the year over whether the settlement can proceed.
The deal would allow the company to emerge from bankruptcy as a different entity, with its profits used to fight the opioid epidemic. Members of the Sackler family would contribute up to $6 billion.
But a key component of the agreement would shield family members, who are not seeking bankruptcy protection as individuals, from lawsuits.
The U.S. Bankruptcy Trustee, represented by the Justice Department, opposes releasing the Sackler family from legal liability.
The justices directed the parties to address whether bankruptcy law authorizes a blanket shield from lawsuits filed by all opioid victims.
The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals had allowed the reorganization plan to proceed.
Lawyers for Purdue and other parties to the agreement had urged the justices to stay out of the case.
“We are confident in the legality of our nearly universally supported Plan of Reorganization, and optimistic that the Supreme Court will agree,” the company said in a statement following the court’s action Thursday. “Even so, we are disappointed that the U.S. Trustee, despite having no concrete interest in the outcome of this process, has been able to single-handedly delay billions of dollars in value that should be put to use for victim compensation, opioid crisis abatement for communities across the country, and overdose rescue medicines.”
Ed Neiger, a lawyer representing individual victims of the opioid crisis who would be in line for a piece of the settlement, said it was a disappointment that they would have to wait longer for any compensation but also praised the court for agreeing to hear the case so soon. “They clearly see the urgency of the matter,” he said.
Another group of mostly parents of people who died from opioid overdoses has called for the settlement not to be accepted.
Opioids have been linked to more than 70,000 fatal overdoses annually in the U.S. in recent years. Most of those are from fentanyl and other synthetic drugs. But the crisis widened in the early 2000s as OxyContin and other powerful prescription painkillers became prevalent.
___
Associated Press writer Geoff Mulvihill contributed to this report from Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Selena Gomez Reveals Her Next Album Will Likely Be Her Last
- Alessandra Ambrosio and Look-Alike Daughter Anja Twin in Sparkly Dresses for NYE Celebration
- Horoscopes Today, January 2, 2024
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Justice Dept. accuses 2 political operatives of hiding foreign lobbying during Trump administration
- Ex-NBA G League player, former girlfriend to face charges together in woman’s killing in Vegas
- Ready to mark your calendar for 2024? Dates for holidays, events and games to plan ahead for
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- What to know about changes to this year’s FAFSA application for college students
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Japanese transport officials and police begin on-site probe after fatal crash on Tokyo runway
- Pretty Little Liars’ Lucy Hale Marks Two Years of Sobriety
- Alessandra Ambrosio and Look-Alike Daughter Anja Twin in Sparkly Dresses for NYE Celebration
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard is free, reflects on prison term for conspiring to kill her abusive mother
- Extreme cold grips the Nordics, with the coldest January night in Sweden, as floods hit to the south
- North Carolina presidential primary candidates have been finalized; a Trump challenge is on appeal
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
New Year’s Day quake in Japan revives the trauma of 2011 triple disasters
These 15 Top-Rated Lip Oils Will Keep Your Lips Hydrated Through Winter
Questions on artificial intelligence and a budget deficit await returning California lawmakers
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Israel on alert for possible Hezbollah response after senior Hamas leader is killed in Beirut strike
South Africa’s genocide case against Israel sets up a high-stakes legal battle at the UN’s top court
Prosecutors recommend six months in prison for a man at the center of a Jan. 6 conspiracy theory